The Arab Spectrum Management Group was established in 1997 to cooperate in the field of Spectrum Management by sharing and exchanging views on the emerging radio communication aspects as well as to manage and coordinate all issues related to Spectrum Management, World Radiocommunications Conferences and other spectrum matters between Arab States.
The ASMG proffers its 22 members the opportunity of:
- Harmonizing spectrum use between Arab countries
- Negotiating and developing common Arab proposals for the agenda items of World Radio Conference (WRC) held every four years at the ITU.
- Assessing the progress of the studies pertaining to the agenda items of World Radio Conferences
- Preparing common contributions for the meetings of Radiocommunications sector of ITU (ITU-R).
- Coordinating among member states on all issues related to the Spectrum Management.
The ASMG holds annual meetings. Since we are getting closer to WRC2012, two meetings were planned for this year: the first one was held in Tunisia in March 2010 and the second one will be held in Beirut, at the Metropolitan Palace Hotel from 29th November 2010 till 2nd December 2010
and will gather more than 200 high profile experts to discuss the spectrum issues and prepare for the Arab positions on the different Agenda Items that will be presented at the ITU World Radio Conference in Geneva in 2012.