November 24, 2022
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) allow cybersecurity teams to find the most effective workflow for different types of cybersecurity events. They contain a list of specific actions that allow the security practitioner to determine which course of action is needed for different cyber incidents. They are crucial for the structured exchange of information and effective cooperation within and between ministries/operators when a cyber-attack occurs.
TRA’s Specialized Team represented by Experts Eng. Manal Shihab
– Senior Software Engineer, Eng. Habib Samaha
– General Technical Expert, and under the supervision of Eng. Said Haidar
– Type Approval, QoS and Standards Manager and Member of the National Cybersecurity Committee, participated in numerous SOPs trainings and workshops under the mandate of the National Cybersecurity Committee that led to drafting the TRA’s first Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for Managing a Cyber Crisis with the support of key experts from the ACT Project.
TRA’s SOPs were validated in a meeting that was held at the TRA premises on September 29, 2022 in the presence of Mr. Amine Moukheiber
, TRA Acting Head and General Manager, the TRA Team, Mr. Vincent Desroches
, Head of the Cybersecurity Component/ACT Project, and Mr. Habib El Amin
, Cybersecurity Engineer from the ACT Supporting Team.
On October 7, 2022, a conclusive meeting was held at the Grand Serail with representatives from the Lebanese inter-ministerial commission on cyber security to officially endorse the SOPs of each involved organization. Eng. Manal Shihab
, on behalf of the TRA Team, delivered the SOP presentation among other Lebanese governmental institutions where she highlighted the work that has been achieved over the past period along with the next steps to be followed.
The SOPs will be implemented and tested during a national exercise in 2023 under the activities of the ACT project, a project that is funded by the European Union and led by the International and Ibero-American Foundation for Administration and Public Policy (FIIAPP) in collaboration with the Presidency of the Council of Ministers. Prior to drafting TRA’s SOPs, and as a continuation to the series of training workshops held under the umbrella of the Advance Counter Terrorism for Lebanon security (ACT Lebanon), the TRA Team participated in the “Training and Case-Study Workshop on Cyber Crisis Management and SOPs”
that was held at the Lebanese University on June 27 till July 1, 2022, and delivered by Mr. Mathieu Couturier
– Head of the “Cyber Crisis Management” office at the ANSSI, and Mr. Samuel Hassine
– Director, Security Strategy & Operations at Tanium and Former Head of Cyber Threat Intelligence at ANSSI.
The purpose of the training was to empower cybersecurity teams of state and critical actors to build a cyber crisis management capability in order to be able to respond to a large-scale cyberattack or digital incident. It particularly focused on the designing of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for preparedness, situational awareness and crisis management during a cyber incident.